Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ponds or Olay?

I posted this as a note on my facebook account but thought I should put something positive on my blogger, especially after the past few blogs and their less then positive nature. I've learned more with this deployment then any other that there are good days and there are definite bad. Yesterday was one of the more humorous ones.
I just had the best phone call with Derrick and so need to share. He was able to call at a time when the kids were awake so they even got to talk. YAY!! He sounds like he's doing much better then he has in recent weeks. A few of you know what's been going on, it seems like a weight was lifted when his Lt returned to camp, thank goodness.
We hardly even talked about the deployment itself, which is a huge plus, and were able to just chit chat and pal around like he was just up the street. This is one of the first conversations we've been able to have like this. There was no looming danger in the background or a rush to get back to the business of his day, it was just awesome, & funny.
I have to head to the PX tomorrow to pick something up for one of the ANA commanders. Derrick was trying to explain it to me but I wasn't understanding (because Derrick was making it harder then he needed to). He wanted something that a Canadian ETT had once got for him. Well, one of the spouses sent it out for him & he fell in love with this miracle cream. :) So the guy asked Derrick if his wife (me) could find some special cream to make the wrinkles around his eyes go away. I asked if there was a specific eye cream he wanted. Derrick got excited and told me that's exactly what it was, he didn't know it had a real name, or rather one so simple.
He finds it amusing for many reasons, but the biggest is that in a location as primitive as this (they cook over open flame) there are nationals who worry about bags and wrinkles around their eyes. I don't even think they market eye creams in Afghanistan. Kudos to the Western world for this influence, right?
For me, what is going to be the most amusing is Derrick having possession of said eye cream. If you know Derrick you can probably already hear him complaining about how gay this must look, and now he's going to supply "gayness" to another man. I could not hold back laughter then and even now I am still giggling.

The things we do for national security... :)

No comments: