Thursday, March 26, 2009

Okay, the trek has begun

Well, really it began 5 or so days ago. With Derrick's R&R time fluctuating so many times over the past 4 months I didn't think it was ever going to happen, but this week the process leading up to it began. Wooohoo!
Last Sunday he called to tell me his Monday flight had been canceled but he knew of a flight he might be able to hop on Tuesday. This first hop would only get him out of his camp, but at this point, it's one step closer to home so I'm a-o-k with it.
After talking to him on Sunday I didn't hear from him again until Tuesday and only through a quick comment on Myspace. So not only did I know he managed to land a flight (on Monday after all) so did all of our friends who had access to my page/comments. He was manifested on a flight leaving for his next destination later that night but that flight was canceled. Go figure?
He made it out on Wednesday and he was able to get to a MWR room to chat with me via instant messenger, something we'd taken for granted during prior deployments. We were able to chat for about 15 minutes before he had to share the computer. It didn't matter, I was thrilled to get what I got. He sounded (or it read rather) like he was doing good. We wrapped up our conversation with him talking about wanting to find a shower then going to check his flight status.
When I didn't hear from him in over 24 hours I got a little excited, but a little nervous too. This weekend is going to be interesting at our house and him coming home tonight could potentially be a very bad thing emotionally, for at least one of us.
Fortunately he was able to call yesterday morning to let me know that his scheduled flight was postponed and he wouldn't be home tonight. Whew!
Crazy I say that, huh? When he told me he was delayed at least a day I told him it was a good thing and that I was okay with it. Now, so you all don't think I've completely lost my mind, tomorrow morning Brandon leaves for his 5 day island adventure trip, he actually has to be up at 0445 and we have to be out the door by 0515 so he can make it to the bus stop by 6. If Derrick were to come in tonight it would be the last flight of the night so we'd be at the airport until 10pm. Brandon would only get to see dad for about an hour before having to go to sleep. He'd wake up early and be off before he could spend any good quality time with his dad. I just really feel that would have messed with his heart and mind, only seeing dad for an hour or two then leaving knowing that he only has a few days at home with us. I know that would put a huge damper on his whole trip.
After his call I didn't know how long it would be before I heard from him again, luckily it was only a few hours. The boys and I ran some last minute errands and came home to him being on the computer. He was actually at a location where he could use his own laptop (a huge first!) and we were able to see how he's looking. (he looks amazing!) We chatted for about twenty minutes before he had to go start his walking trek to the other side of the base to see if he was going to be able to catch the next flight out that evening. At this point I don't know where he is, if he was able to get a seat on the flight or if he'll be stuck a little longer at this location. If he did manage the flight, we can expect him tomorrow night, if he didn't then we should see him sometime this weekend, hopefully but it could be as late as Monday or Tuesday. No matter when he gets home at this point I'm thrilled. I was able to breath a little easier, and sleep a little more soundly as soon as I knew he was away from his base camp.
I'll update more when I've got more to share

1 comment:

Brook Parker said...

Just saying HOOORAYYYY that he is finally home! WooT WooT!