Friday, March 26, 2010

3 Years of Eisa

I thought I had videos uploaded from all 4 years, but must not have them all on youtube. Here's three years of Eisa performances from Bechtel Elementary School (BES) Ryukyu Festivals. The first two videos were when Brandon was at Bechtel and the last is from this year, when Luke was finally old enough to participate in the Eisa Club.

This is Brandon's second year of Eisa but first year on the Odaiko drum, he is to the right of his teacher and they're playing Miruku Minari. All first year students play the paranku (pah-lan-koo).


Here is Brandon's second year on the Odaiko, this time playing Kariushi, right behind his instructor. This was his final Eisa performance, no performing groups at the middle school level. I love this song, sound
s so pretty. Who am I kidding, I love all the songs they do. I'm gonna miss this place, (and this school). :(



I am so happy we extended on island long enough for Luke to be able to be a part of the Eisa Club. The three previous years he was so envious of Brandon being able to play. He got his time to shine too. This is Ashibina, a song they do every year and one I just can't get enough of. Luke is third behind his instructor and visible off and on through out the video, darn him for being so tall. If he were shorter he'd be right up front. ;)



We've been so lucky to have this opportunity. As an added bonus (for me), Mr. John has a weekly evening class. I can say that with a few minutes to remember the routines, I can play the paranku to each of the above songs right along with the boys. Tons of fun, a nice little work out and a cultural experience I couldn't get anywhere else in the world. If we stuck around a few more months (August) we'd be performing in the 10,000 Eisa Parade. For me, it's almost worth sticking around for...

ALMOST.

No comments: