Sunday, August 9, 2009

We're getting closer

Today was crazy, but ended on a very positive note. I don't even want to get into all the things that had me stressing and emotional. Well emotional in a negative sense. Tonight I went to the airport to see Derrick's Marine in, this was his right hand man. He's finally back on Okinawa and out of that hell that's labeled Afghanistan on most maps.

It was great seeing him, and surprising him (an added bonus). I walked up to him with our new commanding officer who was holding the cookies that I had made for Derrick's sergeant. He greeting the CO and turned to me, smiled politely and I think for a split second assumed I must be the COs wife. He did an immediate double take, his eyes lit up and he gave me a bubbly 'Hey!' and a warm hug. I don't know how I wasn't crying at this point. If you read my last blog you understand what I'm saying. He told me he wasn't expecting any of this, nobody from his parent command and especially not to see me, or receive gifts and baked goodies. I'm so glad he didn't come home to just a bus, that would have been so unfortunate.

I gave him the cookies, a goody bag that our Family Readiness Officer had made for him and a thank you card which ultimately included my previous blog (as a good friend had suggested I share it with him). We talked for a while about being home on Oki, going back home and of course Derrick and how he is doing, then it was time for his bus to bring him home. I gave him one more hug for the road and he was off. Hopefully to another warm welcome from all the friends he'd left behind in those barracks ten months ago.

I can't explain how awesome it felt to know that he is safe again, he feels like family in an odd combat camaraderie sort of way. Tonight I was able to let out a sigh of relief, one of the boys made it home safely and in the not so distant future Derrick will be home safe as well, and I'll breath easy once again.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the families who have just begun this deployment journey. It is never easy to let a loved on go, to send them to war is even harder. I pray for strength when you feel you have no more, patience when things just don't go as planned, compassion and understanding with your children as they're going through changes too and love, tons and tons of love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God Bless America and the G.I. Wives. You always amaze me Denise and are ALWAYS in my prayers, you know "D' is safe, he knows how to survive... Take Care! Great page! Jeff