Friday, April 10, 2009

Destination Unknown

If you're on my Myspace blog list then you've probably already read this, I just copied and pasted it here for everyone who follows me through Blogger, and I'm sure I'll link this in some way shape or form to Facebook too. I really need something (like Twitter) that ties all three pages together more easily. :)
Blog begins:
Where we'll go next, that is still a mystery, one we won't know until just a few weeks before we jet off this tiny rock. What I can tell you is we'll end up (over the course of 3 years) in two different countries out of a possible 105!
I've been a little tight lipped about this, but if you've seen me or Derrick in the past 2 weeks then you know, if not then this is most likely news to you. Now that things are rolling along and Derrick has been accepted I feel a little freer about talking now. We've spent countless hours of his R&R up at his parent command working with his career planner and command team (I just LOVE them) getting all of the prerequisites in for his package. We went in 2 weeks ago with the idea of heading back to the east coast and Derrick landing a position as a Marine Combat Instructor, when that was shot down because of his rank we had to consider other options. The first thing that was suggested happened to be Derrick's dream job but he thought I would say no. Turns out, me being there with him then was all we needed to know that I was just as on board as he was. The career planner gave us a little bit of info, not that we needed any persuasion, and the next 3 to 4 hours ended up being jam packed with admin, medical and dental checks to make sure all of our chicks were in a row. We wrapped it up with our financial check list and we're done with everything we could do on our part.
It took a little longer then we'd have liked, but the package went through the command- Thursday night the first part of the screening was done (phone interview to VA) and again last night a follow up call/screening was done, this one made it official. Derrick (the kids and I) have been accepted and he has his course date set!
I'm not sure if he will have to formally extend us on Okinawa or if his orders will include the extension, in any case the boys and I will be here through March or April of 2010. Derrick will return this summer, go through his 30 and 60 respectively and will then punch off in January for 10 weeks of school before we find out which US Embassy we'll be going to first. More specifically, let me quote this so I don't get it wrong, "Each Detachment is commanded by a Staff Non-Commissioned Officer, being one of the few instances where an enlisted Marine may hold the title of commanding officer. Generally between the ranks of Staff Sergeant and Master Gunnery Sergeant,
Marine Detachment Commanders serve two tours which generally last 18
months each." Derrick will be given another (his 2nd & 3rd) opportunity to command a team! Tell me that's not awesome. I am so stoked about all of this and sooo very proud of him and his accomplishments.
There are some definite ups but also some downs about this tour and there are some kinks I'm going to have to work out, like when we're going to make it home for visits and when and who will be able to come and visit us. We'll need to get new passports and oh darn, I'm going to need to go dress shopping. I'm not sure how I'll manage that. ;) This is going to be another awesome adventure courtesy of the United States Marine Corps and I'm so ready.
The biggest hurdle Derrick says he faces now "is doing everything he can to not earn a medal through the rest of this deployment." All I can say is he better not.


(translation, medals usually = injury/death. huge no-no in my book)

No comments: