Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This is gross beyond words

If you've really followed this deployment you know that it's been so different from any other deployment Derrick has been on. Even drastic compared to the other combat tours he'd done previously. The terrain is different, the living conditions are "Spartan" at best and the food... Oh my gosh the food. Sometimes they get it air dropped in and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they rely completely on what people send in care packages. And sometimes the food is delivered spoiled and you (he/they) either catch it as it's about to go into your mouth or you eat it and end up sick for days. It's happened at least twice already, fortunately both times Derrick could smell that it was spoiled and turned down the meal. I guess the other guys were too hungry to care. Talk about a Merry Christmas- the first time it happened was on Christmas day. Oh what a special feast that was, 75% of the camp was sick for a week. (The initial reaction to that was to discontinue sending meats to them. Why would they need protein, right?)
In any case, good food is hard to come by and decent meals are very few and far between. I guess because of this reason what I'm about to share didn't phase Derrick as much as it completely and utterly grossed me out. At the same time it made me appreciate how fortunate we are. Here is a little exert from our IM conversation:

derrick: the flies here are so bad it pisses me off
Deni: i'm sorry hun
derrick: I ate a fly the other day
Deni: eww
Deni: how did you do that?
derrick: I was eating biscuits and gravy
Deni: uck
derrick: and I guess it flew into the gravy
derrick: and I was chewing and I felt it pop in my mouth
Deni: and how did you find out?
derrick: It tasted a little off
Deni: eww
Deni: eww eeww eww
derrick: I just ignored it an kept eating
Deni: I just shrieked and had to tell the boys
Deni: now they're ewwing too
derrick: pretty nasty
Deni: yeah
Deni: eewww
derrick: thats what it gets
Deni: what? for landing in your food?
derrick: yes

I now know I can cook pretty much anything, test new recipes and just get creative and he'll appreciate it.
I am still gagging and 'eww', 'ick' and 'gross'ing about it and it's been 20 minutes since the conversation happened.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

OMG!!!! I feel so bad that he is having meals with flies. I have chills from reading that, you're right that is gross.