Saturday, January 1, 2011

MD in May or stay?

That is the question.
Looking back to my high school graduation I remember there being all this hype, but for what? A bunch of home schooled kids to walk the stage of the high school none of us attended among our "peers" though strangers to one and other. Then to top it, the cassette (really, I am not that old) that was supposed to play the graduation march was never rewound from the previous year so when they hit play it was at end which left us without music for any part of the ceremony. Aside from knowing that busting my butt working as my teacher and the student, pushing to graduate almost a year and a half early was over and physically receiving my diploma the ceremony was a bust.
So now,16 years later (wow,I just realized how long it's been) I am at nearly the same place. With my university based in Maryland, my professors scattered across the world and me for 90% of my schooling it was online in Japan. I don't know the campus, have never physically met an instructor, administrator or a huge majority of my fellow classmates for that matter, so do I make the 6-7 hour trek to a place I've never been to be among people I do not know for one little ceremony?
I would have to pull the kids out of school early on Friday so we could be there for the morning ceremony. We'd be lucky to have the rest of the afternoon and some of Sunday morning before hitting the road for our trek back home. Not to mention having to take time off work for this weekend (oh yeah, I got a job-start on Thursday).
So the question is, is it worth the craziness of a whirlwind, barely two day trip to MD just to throw on a cap and gown and pick up my degree? Thoughts and opinions please.

6 comments:

Penne said...

well if you make that crazy two-day trip to maryland for a diploma you worked your butt off for (1) you will get to walk across a college stage that fewer than 19% of Americans ever get a chance to do and (2) Your kids will see a ceremony that most dont get to see their parents in and (3) you can stop by our house on the way because Maryland is after Virginia and we are literally 2 minutes off I-95. :) I'm just saying.

Unknown said...

I say YES!!! This will be a moment in time that you will never be able to bring back. Walking across that stage will be a huge sense of accomplishment for you. You have worked hard to get to this point so you need to take it all the way. So, what if you do not know the teachers or the students, you are doing this for you and your family not for them! You go to Maryland and walk across that stage to get your diploma with a huge smile on your face... Consider it a road trip and make it fun!!! After all, what do college graduates do??? Who says you have to act your age at a time like this? Have fun and get that diploma!!!!

Andrea said...

MD in May! This is something that you have worked so hard for and you deserve to march across that stage.

Did you get the job with the city?

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

Can I just say DITTO to the other 3 comments!!!
It's not about celebrating with the other graduates or teachers, it's about celebrating what YOU have accomplished, and you'll have your husband and kids there to watch and appreciate that there's a reason for all the work you've put in.
Besides, I Penne wants to see you ;o).
Congratulations, no matter what you decide. I vote go.
NOW -- where will you be working??

Unknown said...

Denise,

What's the important part of this process of graduating to you? I went to school at a major university as a resident. Knew the professors and fellow students. Participated in the life and lifestyle of a college student. Finished after winter quarter and then had your same decision whether to go back in June and "walk". I earned my degree by the work not the walk. I chose not to walk and got my degree in the mail. It hangs framed on my wall after 31 years, and I am just as proud of it. And BTW I have never regretted not walking. So...your decision. I know you. You always figure out what is right for you...

Unknown said...

Oops, Denise, CLRTWO is me, Tracie