Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's good/I'm glad he's heading back home

Home to his parent command. Back to some sense of normalcy and well, brotherhood. Aside from the bond Derrick made with his team, and a select few Marines, he didn't really have that camaraderie with the unit he attached to. The nature of the deployment played a factor in that for sure. With teams scattered all across one region of the country it was hard to form a bond like that with people you didn't live and work with. There were other factors that affected his relationships as well, I'm almost certain, but really that's not what's important.

If you've followed my blogs (here and elsewhere) you know I have had many issues with the unit he attached to. So for me, his return is a long time coming and gives me such a calm feeling- even knowing there's bound to be some chaotic times as he takes/makes his place back in his unit, I'm so at ease.

Yesterday it became official, he checked out of that unit with nothing more than an adios. Oh, and he was handed the write up for his newest medal earned. No ceremony, no frill, just a here ya go and that was that. Derrick was fine with that, but that is something I would have liked to attend, I mean had there been a ceremony. Heck, there were several awards being given to several people and they were just passed out like last weeks spelling test. (Another reason I am so grateful to say goodbye to this unit- there is no esprit de corps).

A few days ago Derrick came home with a couple letters of appreciation for himself and the other Marines that detached from his parent command, he showed them to me and asked if I saw anything wrong with them. I'll let you decide.

I've cut out most identifying information, but you've got enough to know what I'm refering to. The crazy thing is these are the real deal. They've been signed by their Marine Corps commanding officer and an Army Sergeant Major and were passed out to all the guys. Who proofs these things?

It's laughable to me. At this point it's just one more occasion where this particular unit has neglected something. Fortunately this time it didn't cost me any money or added stress.

---------

Tomorrow we've got a zero five reveille, that way Derrick has plenty of time (20 minutes) to get ready before heading out for his first day back to his unit to PT with his Marines.

Who'd a thunk it- we're both pretty excited about having to wake up at 5. For tomorrow at least. :)

No comments: