Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I live in my little bubble

It's not as tight as some wives, but there is plenty I try not to know. If you know me well then you know it's not much. I tend to seek out the "stuff" that's going down in Afghanistan. I read it, I hear about it but it's seldom close to Derrick. When I hear things from him it does affect me. And you can probably tell by my moods and mannerisms when I'm not doing so well. For the most part though I am fine in my little bubble, knowing that things happen in Afghanistan and near Derrick. But not so near in a weird kind of way.

Pop! Did ya hear that? Yeah that was my bubble. Last week I mentioned that Derrick was interviewed by a reporter from the Chicago Tribune. He was not listed in the article because he is not part of the Illinois National Guard, but since he was interviewed I started following this reporters work. I guess in hopes of seeing a later article that specifically mentioned him. Wishful thinking I suppose.
Today that papers website search engine is down so I had to search from the home page and the sections listed. I saw a link for the Afghanistan War-Blog. That sounds about right so I clicked to check it out. Sure enough it's written by James Janega himself (the reporter who interviewed Derrick and also responded personally to my e mail).

The great thing about having it on a blog is he was able to upload pictures, in the online archives there were no photos to go with the article. The firs blog was about the French troops celebrating a national holiday at another camp, but the majority of the posts are specific to Derrick's location. Again, since he is not a Chicago native and not part of the Ill Nat Guard he is not mentioned here but I know each event blogged about is an event that Derrick is participating in. I can say this without question because I know the size of this outpost and the amount of troops there to sustain it.

He jokes with me when we talk, now that there are no phone calls home we only have instant messenger. What had become a daily routine has become something more sporadic. There is no rhyme or reason to his timing anymore. So every few days I'll hear from him for 5-7 minutes before he has to jet off to a brief, teach a class or grab some chow while there's some left. But he's always some smart remark about being safe. The most recent was, "scare's are cool right?"

I can thank this blog, not mine but Janega's for the belief that I now have. That the insurgents are fully aware of our calendar. Like when our holidays are.

Few know about the bizarre happenings of Valentine's Day 2009, both for the kids and I and D out there. It wasn't until a few days later that I learned we did share something this year. A scary as all heck event. I will completely give him the award for this one though. His was by far more massive.

Until recently I thought Valentine's Day was the first seriously eventful day. That is not the case, prior holidays & other non-holiday dates as well, but to back my theory, Independence Day was no exception. I talked to Derrick that morning, but not again for a few days. I guess a lot can change in a few hours.

I'll save the ridiculous cliches about fireworks and bombs bursting in air. I don't feel super patriotic at the moment. It's kind of scary to realize the protection of my bubble has been removed.

Just be safe Derrick. You promised me & I'm holding you to it. I need you.


http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/afghan-war-blog/

No comments: