Wednesday, February 18, 2009

You change your mind like a girl changes clothes

If you know the song you understand where I'm going with this blog.
For 3 months now the idea of R&R has been dangled before us like a piece of cheese just outside the hamster wheel. About a month after Derrick deployed he called home and gave me the dates he requested and it looked promising. Then it was confirmed. He called and asked me to plan a party and let all our friends know he'd be home soon. Of course there's going to be tons of family time but he wanted to have a day or two with friends too.
I started to plan and even sent out invites, as soon as the RSVPs started rolling in, he called to let me know things had changed. The new dates were pushed to a later day, weeks later. Those new days, should they actually stick would be during the time that Brandon will be on another island for an international adventure camp with Japanese, Indonesian and American students. Clearly a once in a lifetime experience and Derrick told me there was no way I was allowed to pull Brandon from his trip.
I could feel the anxiety setting in. I send out retractions for the party and the explaining began. I've decided not to even try to reschedule around any schedule and good thing, because low and behold, 2 days after his date is pushed back it changes once again. This time in our favor by a few days. If all goes as planned (I am not even counting on it though) he could be home within the next 3 weeks.
This roller coaster ride is so topsy turvy. It's really hot then it's cold, I'm up then I'm down, just like the song. I'll keep everyone posted...

1 comment:

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

Hey Denise,
Heaven help ya - every single time Jason went ANYWHERE I didn't "plan" on him coming home -- not fully anyway -- until I knew his butt was headed to the airplane. Even then, I've known enough people diverted that I know the pain right now of not getting to just circle a date, get excited, and make plans. Tell all the friends locally, expect a last minuted Email or phone call, and show up to party! :o) Hey, we're all used to it, it won't shock anyone to have that be the on-call plan.
As for the gut feeling of the aunt...I just have to say, I'm thrilled and relieved to know that you are ALL okay, and that you were driving somewhere with fields - not those ever lovin' brick walls lining the roads.
I'm here -- call anytime!!!
LOVE YOU ALL BUNCHES...and hope Brandon's trip is AMAZING!!