Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Carpe Diem

About once or twice a year, since we've graduated into the internet age, I receive this chain e mail about a woman who in essence hoards all her "good" things for a special occasion only to die never wearing that special silk blouse or using that expensive perfume. I don't know that I've ever actually forwarded that e mail onto anyone but I've carried the message with me through the years.

Over the past four years this story has come to mind often, in my life as well as others. I took it as a lesson and stepped out of my comfort zone a time or two in order to say "I did that" verses "I could have but.."

With the chaos that military life brings it's hard to not seize every day and cherish all the special moments and items but for civilians (& some military families too) I think they sometimes forget.

One person comes to mind right now, but I don't want to blast anyone in particular so I'll be vague. That way you, if this isn't about you, can still apply it to your life without feeling like you took a message intended for someone else. :)

When you want to do something or see someone do it. Do it when you say you will. Do it when it comes to mind, when it's on your heart. If you think you don't have time, make time. Things that are important to you are worth making the time for. You never know when you'll lose that opportunity. Life is short. Live life seizing those moments, not letting them slip through your fingers. The only thing that separates "I did" and "I wish I had" are actions.

We know to well how quickly things can change. Moves happen, deployments happen, life and even death happens and when it does all you have is what you made of those moments.
So make those moments count.
Wear that special silk blouse.
Spray a spritz of that expensive perfume.
and live life!

3 comments:

FutureSoccerMother said...

I totally agree! Very well said!

We in our house try to live by this phrase. "Your only as good as your word". Say it, then do it!

Also one of my favorites, as I am always telling anyone and everyone that will listen this... "Take a moment today and make a memory." Life is way to short.
Thank you for the reminder!

Hammacks - You and Me Plus Three said...

Eat off fine China! Live like it matters!
Good blog!

Brook Parker said...

Such a good post <3
Miss you girly!