Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bursting that bubble

My blogs here have changed a little with the new year. They're coming fewer and farther between, not so much because I'm writing less but because the nature of what I'm writing. Over the past few weeks there have been some changes and they've caused me to be a bit selective in what I publish publicly. So for now, what you'll find here are my funny moments and random or everyday encounters. The blogs where I really open up about what I'm feeling and such, those are now reserved for my private blog.

Enough with the explaining, time for the funny stuff. :)

For a few years now Derrick has told the kids there is no Santa Claus. That he doesn't think it's fair that some magical fat man who plays with elves and rides around on flying reindeer gets credit for all the gifts that really came from a years worth of hard work. Ironically the more Derrick jokes about it, the more they don't believe him. 

Knowing this about him, I shouldn't have been surprised when I heard what I did last night.

Yesterday when Brandon came in from school he told me that he woke up around midnight the night before just long enough for his tooth to fall out. He bagged it and tucked it under his pillow, I guess. He didn't specify.

Last night after the boys were in bed I was talking to Derrick about the alarm situation for the morning. I asked him if he'd be sure to swap out the tooth for some money before he left. He said he already took care of it.

"How did you do that? Brandon just went to bed."

"This afternoon. I told him you know the tooth fairy doesn't exist, right? Yeah, so give me your tooth." Then he handed him a dollar.

I was beside myself. I couldn't believe this just happened, so nonchalantly at that. I laughed, it was all I could think to do.

That's when Derrick reminded me that Brandon is eleven, and a boy at that. As if gender has anything to do with this. But I suppose he is getting old enough to realize something fishy about a fairy giving him money for teeth. It doesn't help that Duane Johnson (a.k.a. the Rock) is prancing around in a pink tutu and fairy wings on TV promoting his new movie.

I know kids grow up and they grow out of fairies but it's bittersweet. Just means that I've got one more that's grown up too much. How can I keep Luke little just a little longer. If eleven is the (un)magical age then I've only got 2 more years of magic left.

1 comment:

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

So I suppose I shouldn't tell you that we have always told our kids that dad wants to keep their teeth, so WE pay them, and leave a not for the tooth fairy...but we never really PUSHED a belief in Santa or tooth fairy...just the THOUGHT and Spirit behind it all. I never knew for CERTAIN who "believed" and who didn't, but they all get the jist that nothing gets done without believing and ALOT of Mom & Dad involvement. LOL. Hey, if the bubble doesn't get burst, they are LOST when THEY become parents (I knew someone that didn't understand why she helped her little girl put her tooth under the pillow, and nothing happened. Her folks NEVER clued her in...apparently neither did the rest of the world. LOL)
So, enjoy the Tooth Fairy movie, and hey, I'll have him come get my kids teeth ANY time :o).