Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nothing [much] new to report

I have been meaning to send out an update for a while now. Thanksgiving (& my friend Linda's comment on facebook) reminded me I haven't done it yet. So for everyone curious about what's going on over this way, here's the scoop.

We still no nothing. Well not really, but kind of really. :)

We still have no clue where we'll be going next. Derrick has his course in a few weeks and round about the end of that we'll find out where we're off to. As it's looking now, I'm not sure when we'll be making a trip back to the States to visit. It may (a very loose may) be in the early spring after he finishes his course, but it might actually be after we make our move and get settled in.

Everything is still on schedule for Derrick to leave in just about 4 weeks. Except we don't have his flight information squared away. Due to deployment schedules, training, field ops and then of course plain old meetings there seems to always be at least one key player out of the office at any given time. Hopefully next week we'll have all the bells and whistles (and signatures) needed to move forward again.

The kids and I are ready to go where ever we'll go. We've been cleared medically and through dental, or as I said it the other day, dentical. I asked the doc about immunizations like yellow fever and typhoid and he tells me that we (as dependents) really don't have to get any of them (and they don't recommend them either) but if I wanted to get them/give it to the kids they won't protest. So until I hear that we have to have it because we're going to [insert random third world country here] then I am going to skip the unnecessary immunizations.

Derrick has chatted briefly with a few guys who have been through MSG school either as a guard or Det Cmdr but for each it's been a few years. If anyone has some advice - specifically if it's current - D would love to chat with you. He's heard plenty about how long the days are, how busy they keep him and how he'll have little to no free time but beyond that, not much. He'd like to know what keeps him so busy and fills his days so full.

As of now it looks like I will be meeting Derrick in VA for my week of training but the kids will be staying behind in Okinawa. (I have a wonderful neighbor!) Between Derrick's homecoming, our trip to Tokyo and days missed because of Brandon's doc appointments for his broken arm plus the unknown amount of days of school the kids will miss when we move, they can't really afford to miss another week and a half of school to go out to VA with me. That and the military doesn't provide child care nor do they pay for their flights. Being here in Okinawa has sure made this adventure just a little more chaotic, but not enough to detour us.

I think that about sums up what's going on here as far "where to next?" As I learn more I'll let ya'll know.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs and love.

No comments: