Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Garden Depot & Cocok's

So, this blog is nothing like the others. It's just me boasting about the gem of a place we found today after a little pampering. For those on Okinawa, you know about Cocok's (the k is silent, pronounced Coco's) for those not here, boy are you missing out. It's a nail salon that has expanded their services to include hair, make up and massages as well. Their best known for their pedicures and their AMAZING nail art. A pedicure at Cocok's is a little bit more expensive than your standard stateside pedi running 3990¥, roughly $40. What you get with that, other than service with a smile, is an hour in a comfy recliner, a bottomless glass of the best Oolong tea around, (they have a bar for those who want something a little stronger), and a food and leg massage to die for. Oh and the basic pedicure stuff too. To top it off, you're handed a book with probably a thousand designs in it. If you don't like what you see in the book then you can look at the artificial nail on the cork board that have been done in their most popular designs. Cocok's is a treat that is worth the splurge.
Don't mind my goofy looking toes; here is a photo of my hand painted pineapples and hibiscus toes. Oh and Andie's also, more hibiscus. Apparently we were thinking similarly. :)

























After getting our toes done we were on a (failed) mission to find a treasure chest pinata. It was there last week, there were TONS of them last week, but I had Luke with me so I couldn't get it then. I go back and there are none. There are now no boy pinatas anywhere. ugh!
After that we decide to grab a bite to eat. We were on a side of the island we don't go to often so we called a friend for lunch suggestions. For whatever reason, everything she mentioned just didn't sound great, it sounded good but we wanted something great. We decided to drive until something caught our eye.
I found myself driving through American Village in Mihama, it's a village (hardly, more of a bustling little city) right off the East China Sea. Before we knew it we were walking through American Depot. Clearly they cater to us here, in Mihama at least. We passed a few little restaurants before deciding to try Garden Depot. I don't know what the depot theme is about, but it works, right?
Neither of us had heard reviews on the place, I'd only seen an ad in the phone book or maybe some local publication, but hey, it's worth trying at least once. So we did. Oh my goodness I'm so glad we did too.
They have a special lunch menu with dishes ranging from an uncured pork sandwhich, to pastas, fish and chicken dishes and even hamburg meals. (hamburgers- minus the bun). I decided on the grilled chicken and shrimp with a chili sauce for 1180¥ and Andie went with the Wasabi, ginger, soy sauce hamburg lunch. For an extra 200¥ you also got a cake from their menu. With only the main items in English we weren't sure what all came with our meals so we just waited for it to arrive. (That's often the case here.) A few minutes after our order was placed our server brought us each a bowl of cream of spinach soup and a salad with the best dressing ever. For those who have Cocos curry, it's similar to the Sesame dressing, but there are no seeds and it's clear with black specks (not pepper). In any case, YUM-O!
After that our main courses came out, we had the choice of rice or bread, we both chose rice.














I took one bite of the shrimp and about died. I think it was the best shrimp I've ever, seriously ever tasted. The chili sauce was so awesome and the chicken was cooked so beautifully. They even plated each dish really well. Bonus! (Clearly I watch too much Hells Kitchen, I ♥ Chef Ramsey). After we wrapped up lunch they brought a tray with each of their desserts, they all looked amazing but we could only pick one each. Andie suggested that I try the chocolate mousse and she had the strawberry cake. She really had to twist my arm on this one. As if the grilled chicken and shrimp didn't look amazing enough...
Yes, that's gold leafing sprinkled on top and the chocolate slivers on each side, that's gold lettering painted on. The chip of white chocolate on top was painted as well. It was so beautiful I could almost not eat it. Almost!
It was layer upon layer of amazing, the moouse sat atop a chocolate cookie crust, and surrouded a piece of amazing chocolate then was coated with the chocolate fudge you see, sprinkled with gold and garnished with chocolate bark.
Amazing!! and all for roughly $2. Super bonus.
Andie's dessert was pretty awesome too I might add. Clearly not as beautiful as mine, but I'm sure tasted just as great. Oh yeah, the white slivers that say patisserie, that's white chocolate. She said that was the sweetest strawberry and the cake was so light and amazing.
All of this, oh and drinks too, our total bill was under 2800¥ or less than $30! Talk about awesome huh? And for those not on Okinawa, we don't tip here. That's just plain rude! So $30 out the door.
For those on Okinawa, I'm sure you've seen this place, it's right across from Dragon Palace and the Ferris Wheel one way (Closer to the Sea) and across the street from Jusco, Tony Roma's and the Movie Theater. In case that wasn't enough, maybe this will refresh your memory. :)

& if that didn't help you out, I know this one will.
I know Andie and I both can't wait to go back, so if anyone is wanting to try something new, and amazing, AND would like a little company. :) :) Gimme a call and I'll be your lunch or dinner date. Seriously girls, we should do a lunch there sometime soon!

No comments: